Frinton Golf Club has two courses:
The Havers Course:
18 hole par 71 with 6265 yards of challenging seaside links style golf that changes in character every day. - Havers course details
The Kirby Course:
par 60 with 2854 yards, includes three par 4s and six par 3s. It was established in 1913 and welcomes golfers of all standards. - Kirby course details
The courses at Frinton are built on the peculiar and resilient Holland Marshes turf. It is something of a curiosity that, although the course lies along the shore, separated from the beach only by the sea wall, its subsoil is clay topped by a layer of peat. The decay of centuries has knitted into an immense fibrous mat of turf that was the saviour of this piece of land during the wear and tear during the Second World War. The putting greens have been built up with a light friable loam, to counteract the springiness of the peat, making them uniformly good.
The brackish, semi-tidal ditches, known locally as 'fletes', are a notable feature of the courses, which at many of the holes govern the play every bit as effectively as the ubiquitous Barry Burn at Carnoustie and have earned for Frinton the name of 'the Carnoustie of the South'. The largest of these fletes, running along the sea wall, is known as Kirby Brook, but minor tributaries at various holes force players to pay more than usual heed to the placement of shots.
Rare plants are dependent on these unusual brackish ditches with the result that the course has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (Section 28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981). The birds that use the area, including Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl hunting over the marshes in winter, as well as many migratory species that are seen regularly on passage, provide additional interest.
The Zulu Hut